Last Updated: October 1, 2017
Information We Collect
We collect your information, such as name, email, phone number and location when you register for our newsletter or other content or when you participate in one of our user surveys. As you engage with us on the Site, by sending us communications, personal essays or request our support using the Site or inquiring about our services, we collect the information you provide in these interactions as well. When you visit the Site we also collect non-personally identifiable information, which is information that by itself cannot be used to identify or contact you, including demographic information (such as age or gender) or usage information (such as the browser you are using, the URL that referred you to the Site and the areas of the Site that you visit).
Information We Use
We use your information in order to improve the Site for all of our users, such as:
● To support the functioning of the Site itself and the services offered, and to inform improvements to the Site,
● To contact you for your feedback, or to respond to feedback you have provided,
● To conduct research about our audience, including the demographics thereof, and how you are using the Site,
● To offer you promotions or to feature your personal essay submissions or to process your entrance in and any fulfillment of any such promotions or offerings you choose to take advantage of.
Sharing & Disclosure
We may share information about you as follows:
● If sharing the information is reasonably necessary to provide or otherwise make available the Site and any feature of the Site or a service that you have requested;
● With third-party vendors or consultants who need access to such information in order to provide support for the services we offer via the Site;
● In response to a request for information if we believe disclosure is in accordance with any applicable law, regulation or legal process, or as otherwise required by any applicable law, rule or regulation;
● If we believe your actions are inconsistent with our policies and in order to protect the rights, property, and safety of the Site and our users;
● In connection with, or during negotiations of, any merger, sale of company assets, financing or acquisition of all or a portion of our business to another company; and
● With your consent or at your direction. We may also share aggregated or de-identified information, which cannot reasonably be used to identify you.
We are committed to protecting your information. The Know takes reasonable precautions to safeguard your information from loss, misuse, disclosure, alteration, unauthorized access, and destruction.
The Site may contain links to other sites. The Know is not responsible for the privacy practices of such other sites. For more information about the purpose and scope of data collection and processing of your information in connection with such third-party sites please read their privacy policies before visiting or providing your information to third-party sites.
Social Media Features and Widgets
Our Site may integrate with social sharing features or other related tools which let you share actions you take on the Site with other apps, sites or media, and vice versa. These features may enable the sharing of information with your friends or the public, depending on the settings you choose with the social sharing service. For more information about the purpose and scope of data collection and processing in connection with social sharing features, please visit the privacy policies of the companies that provide these features.
The content and services provided by us or our affiliates, sponsors and advertisers are not intended for children under the age of 13. If you are under the age of 18 or otherwise not of legal age to form a binding contract in your place of residence, you must have your parent or legal guardian’s permission to use the Site. No information is knowingly collected or retained from children under the age of 13, nor is any such information knowingly used for any marketing or promotional purposes whatsoever, either inside or outside the Site. No part of the Site is designed to attract anyone under the age of 13. Children are not eligible to use any services provided by us and we ask that children under the age of 13 not submit any personal information to us or visit the Site.
We use third-party advertising companies to serve ads on our behalf or to provide other advertising services. These companies may use a cookie, to tailor the ads you see on the Site and other sites, to track your response to their ads or to award incentives to their members who respond to their ads.
Analytics Services Provided by Others
You may change or delete information about you by contacting us at email@example.com, but please know that we may retain certain information about you as required by law or for any legitimate business purpose. We may also retain cached or archived copies of information about you for a certain period.
You can choose to “opt-out” of receiving direct marketing from us by indicating that you would like to “opt-out” in any such communication or by emailing us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you opt-out, we may still send you non-promotional communications, such as those about your account or changes to our policies.
Most web browsers are set to accept cookies by default. You can usually choose to set your browser to remove or reject browser cookies. Removing or rejecting browser cookies does not necessarily affect third-party flash cookies. To delete or disable flash cookies please visit www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/security for more information. Please note that if you choose to remove or reject cookies, this could affect the availability and functionality of the Site.